A quick and easy Mediterranean tomato and cucumber salad made with these simple summer ingredients: tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, and a refreshing lemony dressing.
A Mediterranean tomato cucumber salad is a refreshing side dish made with fresh summer ingredients.
Tossed in a zesty lemon dressing this salad can be prepared in a few minutes, making it a perfect choice for busy weeknight dinners or lazy weekend meals.
❤️ Why You Will Love This Recipe
You will love this Mediterranean tomato cucumber salad because:
- It is so easy and quick to make.
- It goes so well as a side to different dishes, both vegan and non-vegan.
- It can be prepared several hours in advance, making it ideal for summer picnics or for sharing at potlucks.
- It is the ultimate refreshing salad to serve on hot summer days.
- It is dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, low carb, and low fat.
? Cost to Make
Estimated cost = $7.60 or $1.90 a serve
What Is In A Mediterranean Salad?
A Mediterranean salad is a salad that uses the flavors and ingredients of the Mediterranean.
These salads are usually made with a variety of fresh vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and herbs but there are variations that can include bell peppers, olives, capers, cheese, legumes, and protein.
These salads are typically dressed in a simple lemon juice and olive oil vinaigrette.
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
Tomatoes – use ripe bright red tomatoes, like Roma, truss, heirloom tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes.
Cucumber – English or Lebanese cucumbers are a good choice or use another variety with a thin skin and one that does not have a bitter taste.
Red onion – or another salad onion are ideal because they are sweet and can be eaten raw.
Parsley – use fresh for the best flavor. If you can’t get fresh, use a teaspoon or two of dry and let it sit in the lemon juice for a few minutes to soften before mixing it into the salad.
Salt and pepper – add these to taste.
Extra virgin olive oil – is a staple ingredient in the Mediterranean diet and is often used for its flavor in salads and other dishes.
Lemon juice adds a bright, tangy flavor to the dressing.
Feta cheese – we like the salty flavor feta adds to this salad, and it is an optional addition to the recipe. Make this recipe dairy-free by using a vegan feta like our tofu feta cheese substitute.
Step 1 – Place diced tomatoes, cucumber, and parsley into a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 2 – Mix the olive oil and lemon juice, in a small cup or bowl. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice if necessary.
Step 3 – Pour the dressing over the salad, toss and garnish with crumbled feta or feta cubes (if using) and serve.
? Recipe Tips
Use fresh ingredients – use fresh in season vegetables and herbs for the best tasting salad.
For presentation – cut the cucumbers and tomatoes into even-sized pieces.
Serve the salad at room temperature – this allows the flavors of the ingredients to meld together and give a better overall taste.
? Serving Size
This recipe serves 4, and a serving size is about 275 grams (9.7 ounces).
? Calories Per Serve
There are about 132 calories in a serving – the calorie count does not include the feta garnish.
? Serving Suggestions
Here are some ways you could serve this salad.
- Serve it as a side dish to a main course of grilled chicken, fish, meatloaf, or pasta.
- Serve it with grilled or sauteed vegetables like asparagus, zucchini, bell peppers, or vegan meatloaf for a healthy vegan side dish.
- Use it as a filling for sandwiches, burgers, and wraps.
Instead of using the classic lemon and olive oil dressing as we did in this Mediterranean salad recipe, use a different dressing like one of these:
- Creamy balsamic dressing – Combine balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, and olive oil for a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Red wine vinaigrette – Mix red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper for a tangy and flavorful dressing.
- Harissa and honey dressing – Mix harissa paste, honey, and lemon juice for a spicy and sweet dressing.
- Greek yogurt and herb dressing – Whisk together Greek yogurt, chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, basil, or dill), garlic, and lemon juice for a creamy and refreshing dressing.
- Pesto salad dressing – Use store-bought or homemade pesto as a dressing for a bold and flavorful salad.
- Feta and lemon salad vinaigrette – Crumble feta cheese and mix with olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic for a creamy and tangy dressing.
- Tahini and lemon dressing – Combine tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and water to make a creamy and nutty dressing.
- Spicy sumac dressing – Combine sumac, lime juice, olive oil, maple syrup, ginger, and garlic for a spicy and flavorful dressing.
Or, turn this simple salad into a filling meal by adding other ingredients like:
- Grains such as rice, bulgur wheat, cooked couscous, or quinoa.
- Legumes like chickpeas, lentils, or white beans.
- Meat or plant proteins, like cooked chicken, tofu, or tempeh.
- Toss in a handful of Kalamata olives.
- Add more fresh herbs, like mint, dill, cilantro (fresh coriander), or basil.
- Nuts and seeds like pinenuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds
- Bulk it up with extra vegetables like capsicum (bell peppers), or green onions.
The salad can be prepared one or two hours in advance and stored in a sealed container in the fridge until ready to serve.
Leftovers should be consumed with a few days of preparation, provided it has not been left out for too long.
If you have tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to come back and rate the recipe and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you!
CONNECT WITH SOYA EATS
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a post!
Mediterranean Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 450 grams (15 ounces, 1 pound) of tomatoes, diced
- 450 grams (15 ounces, 1 pound) of cucumber, diced
- 150 grams (5 ounces) of red onion, diced
- 40 grams (1.5 ounces) of fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 140 grams (5 ounces) of feta,, we used tofu feta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place diced tomatoes, cucumber, and parsley into a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice, and mix well. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice if necessary.
- Garnish with crumbled feta or feta cubes and serve.