This easy silken tofu sour cream is delicious and easy to make with only five ingredients. It is perfect for dipping, using in salad dressings, and baking.
When you know how simple it is to make recipes like this gyoza dipping sauce, this low-fat vegan mayo substitute or this tofu cream cheese, and this silken tofu sour cream, you may not want to get store-bought again.
These delicious homemade condiments are fast to make and not heavy in oil and preservatives, and are healthier to eat.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This non-dairy sour cream is tangy, thick, creamy, and delicious.
- It takes less than 5 minutes to make with five simple ingredients.
- This sour cream is plant-based and is healthier than regular sour cream.
- It is low in fat, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and vegan
Cost to Make
Estimated cost = $2.30 or $0.21 a serve
What Does It Taste Like
This question is something that we asked ourselves before making this recipe, so we thought we share our thoughts here.
In all honesty, don't expect it to taste like regular sour cream because it does not. It has its own unique light beany flavor and is smooth and creamy to eat.
It's a flavor that you will either love, hate or grow to love, but the only way to find out is to try it yourself.
Why Make It
- It is much lower in fat than regular sour cream.
- Depending on your location, it may be cheaper to make than other alternatives like cashew-sour cream.
Who Is It For
- Silken tofu sour cream is for anyone who wants to include healthier options in their diet.
- This dairy-free, sour-cream alternative is suitable for those who are lactose intolerant or have nut allergies.
- It is for vegans and vegetarians.
What It is Not
Silken tofu sour cream is not as thick as regular sour cream. It has a consistency similar to a lightly whipped cream that is still pourable.
And this can vary from one batch of silken tofu to the next, depending on its water content. To make thick tofu sour cream see the notes below.
Please note that below is a guide for some of the ingredients we used in the recipe. The printable recipe further down the page has the complete list of ingredients, including quantities and step-by-step instructions.
Silken tofu - because it is soft silky, and smooth in texture. You can buy this from most Asian supermarkets and some grocery stores.
Lemon juice - use fresh lemon juice to give the tofu cream a hint of sourness similar to regular sour cream.
Salt will help enhance and bring all the flavors together.
Sugar- use white granulated sugar for sweetness.
Vegetable oil - this is optional. It makes it richer, creamier, and tastier. Use a neutral-flavored oil like vegetable oil or canola oil.
A small food processor is needed to blend the tofu into a smooth and creamy paste.
Step 1 - Break the silken tofu into pieces and place it into a small food processor.
Step 2 - Add the lemon juice, salt, sugar, and vegetable oil.
Step 3 - Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning if necessary by adding a little more lemon juice, salt, or sugar. Transfer to a container, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- To keep it fresh, store the sour cream in a sealed container in the fridge soon after making it.
- If you like more sourness in your sour cream, mix in a little extra lemon juice and leave out the sugar.
Thickened Tofu Sour Cream
Sometimes you want sour cream with a body that will hold its shape for toppings on things like bite-sized appetizers.
If you have made this recipe and find that it is too thin for your purposes, you can:
Strain it to make it thicker
Filter the liquid from the sour cream through a sieve lined with a double layer of muslin cloth placed over a large bowl.
Place in the fridge and allow to drain for about 20 - 30 minutes or until the desired thickness is reached. Transfer the thick tofu sour cream to a container and store in the fridge until needed.
Or the next time you make it, you could:
Press silken tofu to remove the moisture
Although it is not common to press silken tofu because it can break and crumble under pressure, it is not an issue in this case because it will be processed to make a smooth cream.
Press it for about 5 -10 minutes to remove some water before blending.
Use soft tofu instead of silken tofu
Soft tofu is firmer and contains less water than silken tofu. Press soft tofu for 5 - 10 minutes or so before blending.
Made it too thick
If you have found that you have removed too much water from the tofu and the blended cream is way too thick, blend in small amounts of water or lemon juice (to taste) until you reach your desired consistency.
This recipe makes about 1 ½ cups of vegan sour cream and serves 12. A serving size is equal to 2 tablespoons.
Calories Per Serve
A two-tablespoon serving is about 40 calories if made with vegetable oil and 19 calories without oil.
- Use this as a substitute for regular dairy sour cream in baking as a base for dips and salad dressings like the one we made for our dairy-free coleslaw and for stirring into sauces and soups.
- It is also a delicious topping on nachos and baked potatoes.
- If you don't have fresh lemon juice, you could also use apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, adding these to taste.
Because this soft tofu recipe for sour cream is quite plain in flavor, it makes it ideal for use in baking and sweet dishes.
However, you can make it savory and liven up the flavors by adding freshly grated garlic or garlic powder or onion powder and using it as a savory topping.
Store the sour cream in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for about 5-6 days.
If you like this silken tofu sour cream recipe you might also like these recipes with silken tofu.
Or try these recipes:
Silken Tofu Sour Cream
- Small food processor or immersion blender
- 300 grams (10.6 ounces) of silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar or vegan alternative
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil optional
- Break the silken tofu into pieces and place it into a small food processor.
- Add the lemon juice, salt, sugar, and vegetable oil (if using)
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning if necessary by adding a little more lemon juice, salt, or sugar.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate.