Want a quick and easy healthy breakfast or snack? Have you tried silken tofu smoothies? They are delicious and easy to make.
Silken tofu is high in protein, low carb, and contains essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, making it a healthy way to start your day.
- Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Can You Add Tofu To A Smoothie?
- Can You Eat Tofu Raw?
- Why Put Tofu Into A Smoothie?
- What Type of Tofu Is Best For Smoothies?
- What Kind Of Fruit Can I Use?
- Recipe Tips
- Can You Freeze Silken Tofu For Smoothies?
- Do Smoothies Have Milk In Them?
- How Long Will A Smoothie Keep?
- Smoothies Made With Tofu
Silken tofu smoothies are easy to make and delicious. These high-protein breakfast or snack drinks are healthy and quick to make.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- They are lighter and healthier than cream and ice cream based smoothies.
- Tofu smoothies are quick to make and can be enjoyed for breakfast or as a healthy snack.
- These silken tofu smoothie recipes are vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, and protein-rich.
Can You Add Tofu To A Smoothie?
Yes! You can add tofu to smoothies. Silken tofu is the best to use because it is creamy and becomes silky smooth when blended.
It is a great dairy-free option for cream, yogurt, or ice cream, and just like the dairy options mentioned, when it is blended, you get a thick cream milkshake.
Can You Eat Tofu Raw?
Yes, tofu can be eaten "raw" and straight from the pack because it is packaged and sold fully cooked.
There is no need to cook silken tofu before making smoothies - just put the required amount straight from the pack into the blender.
Why Put Tofu Into A Smoothie?
- Tofu is a good source of plant protein. Protein helps keep you feeling fuller for longer and is also a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- Silken tofu can be blended smooth and gives smoothies and shakes a creamy smooth texture similar to ice cream, but without the fat.
- It is dairy free and is easier to digest if you can't tolerate too much milk.
- Silken tofu is also lower in calories than other dairy and non-dairy ingredients like some dairy and non-dairy creams.
What Type of Tofu Is Best For Smoothies?
The best tofu for smoothies is silken or soft because of its silky smooth texture, almost neutral flavor, and blends to a super smooth consistency.
Unlike medium, firm, and extra firm tofu, all of which have a strong flavor that can be prominent in the smoothie.
It's not a bad taste, but if you are not used to the flavor of tofu, you will notice it in the smoothie.
You will need a high-power food processor or stick blender to liquefy frozen fruits and silken tofu.
What Kind Of Fruit Can I Use?
Almost any fresh or frozen fruit can be used in a smoothie. You can make smoothies with a single fruit or a combination. Fruits that you could use are:
- pitted cherries
- kiwi fruit
Use frozen fruit not only is it convenient, but it can be cheaper than fresh fruits when not in season.
Frozen or partially frozen fruits also make smoothies thick and cold, making them a refreshing summer drink.
Can You Freeze Silken Tofu For Smoothies?
If you are not using all the tofu and are not making anything else with it, you can freeze it and use it frozen for the next time you make tofu smoothies.
Before freezing, cut the silken tofu into small pieces about the size of ice cubes.
Arrange these on a tray in a single layer and not touching, and freeze. Once frozen, transfer the frozen tofu cubes to a freezer bag or sealed container.
And the next time you want a tofu smoothie, add some frozen cubes into the blender with the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
Do Smoothies Have Milk In Them?
No, not all smoothies contain milk. Other liquids like soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, other plant milk, iced coffee or tea, or water can be used.
How Long Will A Smoothie Keep?
Smoothies are best when freshly made, but if you can't finish them, they can be stored in the fridge overnight.
The color will darken a little, and it could split and look watery. If this happens, give it a good stir with a spoon before drinking.
You could also make popsicles with leftover fruit smoothies for a cooling and refreshing summer dessert.
Smoothies Made With Tofu
Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, lactose intolerant, or just looking for healthy breakfast smoothie recipes, these silken tofu smoothie recipes are for you.